[fedora-virt] QEMU new Package

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 22:34:12 UTC 2009

(cc-ed a few people who were interested on irc)

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 18:11 -0200, Glauber Costa wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> I've built a qemu image in here:
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1102151
>
> It contains the basic work to get qemu package updated. Basically,
> we're talking about getting the qemu code from svn and creating multiple
> packages, so one could grab just the architecture of interest.
> Todo, is the creation of a meta-package to grab'em all at once.

Okay, so this adds ~30 sub-packages. In retrospect, maybe ajax and co.
have a point saying that's a bit excessive :-)

One downside to so many sub-packages is that it means the total size of
the RPMs is ~15Mb instead of ~10Mb.

The on-disk size of the current qemu package is ~50Mb. What most people
care about is /usr/bin/qemu (and in future qemu-kvm). Those bits only
have a ~3Mb on-disk size. Each other target adds ~1.5Mb.

How about splitting it this way:

  qemu:
    - /usr/bin/qemu
    - /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 (only on x86_64, obviously)
    - qemu-kvm
    - qemu-nbd
    - docs
    - BIOSes
    - keymaps
    - init script

  qemu-img
    - /usr/bin/qemu-img

  qemu-system:

    - qemu-system-arm
    - qemu-system-cris
    - qemu-system-i386
    - qemu-system-m68k
    - qemu-system-mips
    - qemu-system-mips64
    - qemu-system-mips64el
    - qemu-system-mipsel
    - qemu-system-ppc
    - qemu-system-ppc64
    - qemu-system-ppcemb
    - qemu-system-sh4
    - qemu-system-sh4eb
    - qemu-system-sparc

  qemu-linux:

    - qemu-alpha
    - qemu-arm
    - qemu-armeb
    - qemu-cris
    - qemu-debuginfo
    - qemu-i386
    - qemu-m68k
    - qemu-mips
    - qemu-mipsel
    - qemu-ppc
    - qemu-ppc64
    - qemu-ppc64abi32
    - qemu-sh4
    - qemu-sh4eb
    - qemu-sparc
    - qemu-sparc32plus
    - qemu-sparc64
    - qemu-x86_64

One thing I don't like too much about that is if you do a yum update
from the current package you lose all the stuff in qemu-system and
qemu-linux. I doubt that would cause anyone trouble in practice, though.

Cheers,
Mark.