[fedora-virt] QEMU new Package

Glauber Costa glommer at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 16:29:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:53:47PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 06:11:31PM -0200, Glauber Costa wrote:
> > Hi guys.
> >
> > I've built a qemu image in here:
> >
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1102151
> >
> > It contains the basic work to get qemu package updated. Basically,
> > we're talking about getting the qemu code from svn and creating multiple
> > packages, so one could grab just the architecture of interest.
> > Todo, is the creation of a meta-package to grab'em all at once.
> >
> > This is also the first step in merging qemu and kvm packages, which
> > I'd like to do in two steps.
> >
> > 1) This one.
> > 2) replace qemu-svn with kvm-userspace
> >
> > The later is not as trivial as it seems. Nobody exercices this path
> > usually, and we're likely to find bugs that prevent the build to finish
> > (Well, I tested, and there _are_ bugs ;-) ). But I believe we can have
> > it sorted out.
> >
> > If no one has any major opposition to the state of things, I intend to
> > commit it to CVS tomorrow (with some minor changes), and put it into
> > rawhide so we can start having a more serious testing out of it.
>
> The major blocker here is that it breaks upgrades. ie, upgrade to F11
> and you end up with an install with no emulators present. 'qemu' should
> stay as a package which pulls in everything - by Requires on all the
> sub-RPMs. I agree with mark that there are too many sub-RPMs here.
> I think we should group related archs, so that all x86 related system
> emulators are in one sub-RPM, all mips together, all sh together, etc
Ok, so what you mean is a meta package "qemu" that just depends on all others
for folks that already has qemu installed? It makes sense. Do we plan on
carrying it on forever, or dropping it by F12?

> Also, the /etc/init.d/qemu script will need updating to take account
> of the fact that not all usermode emulators will be present - it should
> only register binary format handlers for those which are actually
> installed.
According to the current proposal, they will. We're splitting qemu-system into
multiple, but qemu-user will have all targets. So all we have to do is install
the init script only when installing the user package.