[fedora-virt] Fedora virt status

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 23:04:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 09:15:26PM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Installer Debugging
> ===================
>
> A bug was filed about headless installs:
>
>   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/487136
>     KVM Having problem In fedora 10 With no-gui
>
> This prompted a new tip to be added to:
>
>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Reporting_virtualization_bugs#virt-install
>
>   In order to gain access to a serial console during the install,
>   you can use -x "console=ttyS0". Using a serial console combined
>   with a VNC install can be very useful for debugging e.g.
>   <code>--nographics -x "console=ttyS0 vnc".
>
> Perhaps it might make sense for Fedora to use any available serial
> console if there is no graphics card? Probably not, though, since you
> have no idea whether anything is connected to the other end of the
> serial line - on a bare-metal headless server, such a policy would
> have us pointlessly driving unused serial lines.

Latest KVM has a new 'virtio console' PCI device present. We just
need to hook this upto libirt's <console> XML, to get an always
available PV console for all KVM guests without messing around
with serial ports. Just need to check Fedora guests have a config
/etc/event/hvc0 so the agetty is started on it out of the box.

Daniel