[fedora-virt] libguestfs best practices: Exposing files from the host for the duration of a session

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri May 29 11:18:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 06:13:05AM -0500, Charles Duffy wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >FTP is widely supported and well understood, and the servers are old,
> >small, self-contained code.  I really think it's better for this, and
> >not just because I once wrote an FTP server ...
> >
> Just to weigh in -- my only concern with FTP is that it's limited in
> what metadata it will transport. ccgfs, for instance, supports full
> POSIX ACLs and xattrs. Certainly, that's overkill for the common use
> cases here -- but maybe something to keep in mind.

I don't think you'd want to transfer ACLs/xattrs from the host into
the guest because that implies some fairly close alignment between
user / permissioning model between guest & host, cf why NFS isn't
a good idea for this. It likeyl be more useful just let the uploaded
files get the default ACL/xattr and ue a guestfs command to change
them after the fact if needed

Daniel