[fedora-virt] release notes virt passage seems overly pessimistic

Dale Bewley dlbewley at lib.ucdavis.edu
Sun Nov 22 17:29:47 UTC 2009

----- "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> reading here:
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f12/en-US/html/sect-Release_Notes-Virtualization.html
>
> down at the bottom:
>
> "KVM requires hardware virtualization features in the host system.
>
> Systems lacking hardware virtualization do not support Xen guests at
> this time."
>
>   if one is new to virt, that could be read as, "without HW virt,
> you're pretty much screwed."  or could that be worded a bit
> differently?

This is the same text carried over from 10 and 11.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f10/en_US/What_Do_System_Adminstrators_Care_About.html#sn-Virtualization

While Xen does not require hardware support, KVM still (always will?) does. Xen guests on Fedora still require KVM-based xenner. There has been success with Xen dom0 on experimental 3rd party kernels, but that may be beyond the scope of the release notes. We wouldn't want it to be inferred as a recommendation.

Hopefully the F13 release notes will be able to describe native support for Xen dom0 hosts.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue202#No_Xen_dom0_in_Fedora_12_Hopefully_13

If you have any suggestions for further improvement to the release notes, please keep them coming.

--
Dale