[fedora-virt] 'eject' on a KVM guest

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Mon Oct 19 13:49:52 UTC 2009

On 19/10/09 14:38, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 09:35:04AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> On 10/19/2009 05:47 AM, Matthew Booth wrote:
>>> What does the eject (to eject a CD) command do to a KVM guest? It
>>> succeeds, and the result is that the device can no longer be mounted.
>>> However, looking at the domain XML reveals it hasn't disconnected the
>>> backing file.
>>>
>>> Matt
>>
>> It should be the equivalent of ejecting a CD or floppy on a physical
>> machine.
>>
>> If you do this through libvirt (with the attach-device command and
>> suitable XML string), then the change should be reflected in the XML.
>>
>> If you managed to send a monitor command to the KVM guest that didn't go
>> through libvirt, the change wouldn't be reflected in the domain XML for
>> the majority of operations (media eject included).
>
> I think the problem Matt sees is from running 'eject' inside the guest.
> libvirt will not see that, because KVM has no way to notify us that the
> guest ejected the media.

That's it. Re-reading, that wasn't clear from my original question.

> Fortunately, the new KVM monitor control protocol includes support for
> this notification, so we'll be able to address this limitation in the
> future.

Sounds good. Any idea what the timeframe might be for that?

To put this in context, I was trying to think of an existing way a guest
can modify its environment. I was thinking that if you configured a boot
order of cdrom, hd, and attached a custom LiveCD, the LiveCD could do
its thing and then eject itself, booting from hd next time with no
administrative intervention. Could that ever work?

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

M:       +44 (0)7977 267231
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490