[fedora-virt] ksmtuned, v2

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Sep 16 10:02:37 UTC 2009

Hi Dan,

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 17:22 +0300, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> changes since v1:
> - broken into two services, one starting ksm up (ksmd), and the other
>   tuning it (ksmtuned).
> - ksmtune logic separated from service code for cleanliness and simpler
>   availability to other distros
> - ksm/max_kernel_pages default is absurdly low (allows for 8M of shared
>   mem). ksmd now sets it to half of available RAM.
> - a handful of typos corrected
>
> Can these files be poured into qemu-system rpm? Or should I file for a
> new package?
>
> Comments and suggestion are still welcome.

My initial reaction was that I'd prefer these to be in a separate ksm
RPM, but since ksmtuned is tied to qemu at the moment, I guess it makes
sense to include it in qemu for now. We can split it out later, if needs
be.

I've added the ksm init script to qemu-common in rawhide. I put it in
qemu-common since it doesn't appear to be specific to qemu-kvm or
qemu-system.

I was going to add ksmtuned, but when I tested it, it didn't daemonize
and 'service ksmtuned start' just hung. So, that needs to be fixed
first.

I've pushed a git repo with the scripts and a bunch of minor changes I
made:

  http://gitorious.org/ksm-control-scripts/ksm-control-scripts

Cheers,
Mark.