[fedora-virt] Multicast on qemu-kvm?

James Hubbard jameshubbard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 14:12:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:16:54AM -0400, James Hubbard wrote:
>> I've noticed that multicast apps don't seem to work with qemu-kvm
>> using a windows guest.  Anyone know the reason?
>
> Multicasting between guests?  Between guest and host?  Between
> guest and outside network?
>
> Do you have a test case demonstrating the problem?

(Sorry, sent to the list this time.)

Actually all of the above would be good, but this particular instance
was two applications on the same Windows guest.  However, the guy
looking into it seems to have gotten it working.   He rebooted the
guest and it started working. This was on F11.

These apps subscribe to a large number of multicast groups.  It would
be nice if they worked in the following situations with bridged
networking:
app (guest) <-> app(host)
app1 (guest1) <-> app2(guest1)
app (guestX) <-> app(guestY)
app(guestX) <-> app(normal machines)

In the past, we've noticed that VMWare didn't work for these applications.