[fedora-virt] using kqemu with fedora-virt-preview repo

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 23:54:51 UTC 2009

I have a powerful server but without VT capabilities, where I would like to
use virt-manager tools as of fedora-virt-preview repo and speed up somehow
things using kqemu.
It seems that kqemu support is not compiled in for this repo, correct?
Instead, as the kqemu kernel module is in rpmfusion, I presume that the
stock f11 qemu has this support built in....
Am I wrong?
Any problems to compile kqemu support ?

On another server, tried to rebuild qemu-0.11.0-2.fc11.src.rpm  (from
fedora-virt) after installing kqemu from rpmfusion.
But while if I take the source I get kqemu as enabled in configure script,
in rpmbuild I don't get so.
I notice that inside the qemu tar.gz as provided by the source.rpm there are
three lines below in the top configure script:

if [ "$cpu" = "i386" -o "$cpu" = "x86_64" ] ; then
    kqemu="yes"
    audio_possible_drivers="$audio_possible_drivers fmod"
    kvm="yes"
    kqemu="no"

So I commented out the kqemu="no" line... and built the package (not
touching the other two configure scripts that seems related to kvm...)
After installing, if I run qem-kvm or qemu without kqemu all is ok.
Instead, running
[root at tekkaman bin]# ./qemu --enable-kqemu
I get
Not enough memory (requested_size = 16777216, max memory = 146800640)
Aborted

Any hints?
For Kqemu now gplv2, are there any barriers to have it included in fedora
directly?

Thanks in advance,
Gianluca