[fedora-virt] Hey, my Win XP machine now bluescreens

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Aug 1 14:54:26 UTC 2010

On 01/08/10 15:40, Tom Horsley wrote:

> I've had a Windows XP KVM running through several fedora
> upgrades and updates, and I just tried starting it for
> the first time since getting the libvirt-0.8.2-1.fc13.x86_64
> update, and now it bluescreens.

Ah, so it's not just me then...

> I had been running the redhat virtio disk and network drivers
> inside the KVM, have they gone incompatible on me? (I guess
> I could try switching the KVM back to IDE emulation and
> see if it starts working).

It's virtio I suspect. That was certainly what I found, that switching
back to IDE fixed it.

I thought I had ruled out all likely changes (ie updates to kernel
and/or qemu) though so had pretty much decided that Windows had just
decided to start objecting to the driver for some reason.

It's only booting that seems to be a problem - if you hot add a virtio
disk while Windows is running then it can access it just fine.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/