[fedora-virt] virtio-win package?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 21:33:52 UTC 2010

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 15:53:22 -0500
Justin M. Forbes wrote:

> The documentation is busted. We are not allowed to include virtio-win
> drivers in Fedora repositories until we can build them without Windows.

I figured as much, but just thought I'd ask. The new drivers
do seem to work, but there doesn't appear to be any direct
way to install them so I can boot from virtio without taking
a round-about approach.

What finally worked was:

Make boot disk IDE

Make a 2nd disk and call it virtio

Boot XP and let the new hardware wizard ask about the
new disk.

Point it to the CDROM with the guest drivers and let
it install the virtio disk driver.

Now I can shutdown the XP KVM, fiddle the xml file
to change the boot disk back to virtio and remove
the 2nd dummy disk image.

Finally I can boot from virtio (whew! :-).