[fedora-virt] windows xp guest and iphone

Jamie Wellnitz jwellnitz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 00:16:45 UTC 2010

Heh.

I spent a week after I got my iTouch (sorry, "iPod Touch") trying to
get it to sync with ITunes on WinXP in a virtual machine hosted on
Fedora 12.

You have to use the USB passthrough feature - BUT The iPhone/iPod
Touch devices apparently have a "more complicated" USB protocol than
qemu/kvm can currently handle.  Oh, and I never saw a failure - iTunes
just never sees the device - quite annoying.

I read somewhere that Sun's Virtual Box (free-as-in-maybe-open-source)
works - but it didn't.  The way I finally got the iTouch<->iTunes
communication to work was with the not-entirely-free version of
Virtual Box.  (It is free-as-in-beer though.)  I think you can get it
from Sun^H^H^HOracle here:

http://www.sun.com/software/products/virtualbox/get.jsp

Once I had WinXP running in that, I just have to right click on the
little USB icon in Virtual Box's frame and select the iPod Touch
device.

I wasn't able to get my qemu/kvm XP image to boot in Virtual Box, so I
gave up on that even and reinstalled XP.

Best of luck,
Jamie