[fedora-virt] Guest resolution notabug?

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Tue Feb 16 00:35:49 UTC 2010

2010/2/14 Paul Lambert <eb30750 at gmail.com>:
> I submitted bug 548626 regarding the fact that the guest VM does not
> recognize the fullest screen resolution of the host monitor.  My bug report
> was closed as being "notabug."  This was also identified as a bug in report

If I understand you correctly, then it sounds like you're missing some
basic understanding of how virtual machines works.

1. Your host system have access to the screen resolution because it
have access to your graphics card and the monitor connected to your
graphics card.
2. Your VM will never have access to your graphics card or your
monitor, as your host will _emulate_ a graphics card for your VM with
no connection to or knowledge about your physical graphics card or
physical monitor.

Try to run:
lspci | grep VGA
on both your host and in your VM and you'll see what graphics card
each machine have. As you will see, your VMs have their own graphics
cards with no connection to your host graphics card. Eg. they will
never know anything about your monitor.

> This is a bug and needs to be addressed.

No, this is not a bug, this is how it is supposed to work.

To archive what you want, eg. to have other resolutions in your VM,
you can try emulate other graphics cards. You probably have a Cirrus
Logic graphics card emulated in your VM now, try with some of the
others, if I remember correctly "Standard VGA" or "Vesa" will allow
you to use more (higher) resolutions.

Best Regards
Kenni Lund