[fedora-virt] How can we pass kernel arguments(e.g:ks=hd:/dev/..) to a cdrom-based guest install?

Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues lmr at redhat.com
Tue Feb 9 11:30:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 18:26 +0800, Li Ming wrote:

> I tested,this method works.The network was not activated,because the pxe
> install can help download boot file and start system,this is before the
> system can active network.But this method needs to setup a tftp
> server,and copy the pxelinux.0 to tftp server root directory,if the
> tester did not install tftp server or syslinux, the install will fail,

Just a little correction, you don't need to install a tftp server, qemu
has a built in tftp server, that you pass with option -tftp (this way
you can just specify a directory and say 'here qemu, pick this dir and
make it the tftproot), so you just really need syslinux to be installed.

> this will demand that the host and the guest VM are the same system?

Yes, unfortunately. This happens by design of the kvm test.

You can allways look for alternate solutions, such as having a cobbler
server on your laboratory and make your vms managed by cobbler. We
thought about it at some point, but the simplicity of using syslinux +
the builtin qemu tftp server won.

> because pxelinux.0 is located in host system. The vmlinuz and initrd.img
> also have to be copied from iso to tftp directory and the default config
> file need to be created. I will compare these methods and choose the
> best one. Lucas,thanks for your help!!

You are welcome, I am allways available to help on freenode, OFTC or
internal irc channels (lmr or some variations of it).

Lucas