[fedora-virt] Guest unresolved USB issues.

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Jul 12 17:35:31 UTC 2010

On 07/12/2010 12:40 PM, Paul Lambert wrote:
> Cole,
>
> First, over a year ago now, USB was working just fine in Fe-11.  I had
> several USB disks connected but now the same disks fail to be recognized in
> Fe-13.  These disks supported the 480 mb data rate for USB2.0
>
> You state qemu does not support USB 2.0.  Yet when I use "add hardware" the
> software clearly detects the USB 2.0 hubs and other 2.0 devices that are
> plugged in.  If USB 2.0 is not supported then this is the most likely
> problem.

The UI you are using is virt-manager. virt-manager uses libvirt to list
all USB devices on your host machine. The 'add hardware' wizard let's
you expose any USB device to QEMU/KVM (the emulator which actually does
all the heavy lifting). So yes, virt-manager/libvirt can handle USB 2.0

However, QEMU does not know how to take that device and make it appear
as a USB 2.0 device to your VM OS: it can only expose it as USB 1.1 for
all QEMU versions in Fedora. Most devices can fallback to USB1 mode
though, so I'm not positive if that is why the device isn't showing up
in your guest.

> When will qemu support USB 2.0?

It is slowly being worked on upstream, but it doesn't sound like it is
going to make the next qemu release which is happening within a month AIUI.

> I ran "yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update" and all packages show they
> are up to date.  I see no errors in the log files

Okay.

> There are a lot of these in the qemu log file
>
> husb: 1 interfaces claimed for configuration 1
> husb: grabbed usb device 1.4
> husb: open device 1.4
> husb: config #1 need -1
> husb: 1 interfaces claimed for configuration 1
> husb: grabbed usb device 1.4
> husb: open device 1.4
> husb: config #1 need -1

The USB code is kind of noisy, but none of that looks incorrect. Then
again I don't know the QEMU code very well.

Did you test passing through another USB device? That should help narrow
it down.

- Cole