[fedora-virt] performance regressions in Fedora 13?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Jun 1 10:27:12 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 11:24:05AM -0400, Kenneth Armstrong wrote:
> Ok, so it would be even better to have a separate partition that is
> just LVM with no filesystem, and just have raw disk images stored
> there for the VM's then?  That makes a lot of sense, I'll have to try
> that out.  Is that what RHEV is doing?  Thanks again!

RHEV does something slightly different, but yes using LVM partitions
directly for guests is the way to go (at least, for performance, this
configuration is less flexible).  To allocate a new guest, I do:

  # lvcreate -n GuestName -L 8G vg_hostname
  # virt-install -v -n GuestName --accelerate \
      -r 1024 -f /dev/vg_hostname/GuestName \
      --cdrom [path to CD or other install method]

Rich.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html