[fedora-virt] Losing sound in Win XP qemu-kvm guest

jah jah.pub at clan-rum.org
Mon Jun 14 18:01:44 UTC 2010

Thanks for the reply Gilboa.  I had given up on getting a response to my
email and almost didn't spot it.  It's disappointing that nobody from
Red Hat feels like it's worth responding to.  The only thing I could
find in Bugzilla was 520228, a very similar problem with F11 from Aug
2009.  Though this pertains to my Fedora desktop at home, possibly my
Red Hat rep at work can find a resource who would share some insight on
the problem.

Anyway, I switched QEMU_AUDIO_DRV from "alsa" to "pa" and that made the
problem worse, sound went out a few minutes after starting the guest.  I
don't have any experience running KVM under F12 but I am running
Virtualbox under F12 at work (no hardware virtual extentions) and sound
works great in my XP guest.  What exactly are the "connection refused"
messages you're getting from qemu?  The only unusual messages I'm
getting are occasional bursts of this message:

Jun 11 23:52:51 host pulseaudio[2651]: ratelimit.c: 676 events suppressed
Jun 12 10:10:06 host pulseaudio[2651]: ratelimit.c: 676 events suppressed
Jun 12 11:02:53 host pulseaudio[2651]: ratelimit.c: 685 events suppressed

In Gentoo I only had this problem when I ran KVM as a module, not when
it was compiled into the kernel.  Unfortunately nowdays compiling a
custom kernel in Red Hat/Fedora is a little more involved and not really
worth re-doing every time a new kernel update comes out.

-jah