[fedora-virt] Problem porting winxp vm from F12 to rh el 5.4

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 10:56:50 UTC 2010

Hello,
I'm trying to port a windows XP vm created from F12 host to ah rh el 5.4
host.
The hd format is qcow2. I know that it is not supported in rh el, reading
docs (and probably also in 5.5 it will not be supported).
I started with virsh dumpxml in F12 and then with virsh create in rh el 5.4.
I had to change the path to qemu-kvm, the "machine=" definition from "f13"
to "pc" and audio card model from es1370 to ac97 and then I was able to
create it.
Starting the vm in rh el 5.4 host I got it stuck at message
Booting from hd....

The OS was already installed and restarted one time in F12 host...
If I set to boot from CD and put the Win xp one, then it probably recognizes
that an xp os is already installed and starts saying
press any key in 10 seconds to start from cd

I don't press any key, and it correctly starts the winxp os form hd....
Actually I'm seeing that the same behavior is in place in F12 where I forgot
to keep of the "boot from cd" option... ;-(
So it seems a general problem, perhaps about boot sector or something
else...
Any clue on this and how to solve the need to keep the winxp cd inside to be
able to boot?

Gianluca