[fedora-virt] Is this possible in F13?

Li Ming lili at redhat.com
Tue Mar 23 03:03:05 UTC 2010

On 03/22/2010 05:52 PM, Amit Shah wrote:
> On (Mon) Mar 22 2010 [16:46:12], Li Ming wrote:
>> Greetings Amit,
>
> Hello Li,
>

>>       I tried to find you on IRC, but you seemed to be not there.We are
>
> I'm available as 'amitshah' on freenode and 'amit' on oftc.
>
>> very interested in virtio-serial. I just want to know this is possible
>> for current anaconda of F13:
>> Install F13 in KVM, during install,anaconda will create the log in
>> /tmp/anaconda.log, can we get this file(anaconda.log) or the content of
>> this file via virtio-serial in host? I mean while anaconda is generating
>> logs in /tmp/anaconda.log in guest ,we can get this log in host at the
>> same time.
>
> We'll need some co-operation by the anaconda folks and libvirt /
> virt-manager for this.
>
> If Anaconda can successfully open something like
>
>    /dev/virtio-ports/org.fedoraproject.anaconda.log
>
> then the logs could be routed directly to the host.
>
> Libvirt/virt-manager could spawn a virtio-serial port that connects to
> some socket on the host (tcp/udp/unix domain sockets).
>
> It should be possible on a F13 guest image with qemu-kvm from
> virt-preview. (I don't know if the relevant changes have been pushed to
> F12 yet.)

If it works on F13, do we have some specific steps?
1. how to tell anaconda to open /dev/virio-ports/...ananconda.log,pass
some args during boot? or this is default?
2. What command can create guest with virtio-serial port which is
required to route logs.

> In fact, someone from the Anaconda team had contacted me for doing such
> a thing but I don't think it has moved forward at all. CC'ing the
> anaconda-devel list (and I hope it's not moderated).

I want to know this too, who can tell us the progress?

Thanks
Liam