[fedora-virt] problem with kickstart via http from host httpd

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue May 4 14:09:26 UTC 2010

Hello,
using F12 x86_64 + rawvirt repo I'm experiencing this kind of problem inside
a vm.
vm is a rh el 5.5 x86 os
vm has defined default virtual network (nat; tried also creating a new
virtuial network nat-to-eth0; I only have eth0 on my host)
vm with virtio network card defined (tried also with rtl8139 model)

during boot of vm in linux: prompt I type:
linus ks=http://192.168.122.1/ks.cfg

I can see in messages of host (and in console 3 of guest) that it gets an
ip, but then I get error about unable to retrieve ks file...

on the host where I have httpd running if I run:
links http://192.168.122.1/ks.cfg
it succeeds

I can see dnsmasq process for both default virbr0 and the other one (bounded
to 192.168.101.x network, and accordingly changing the ks line in guest of
my attempt)

Tried both to use NetworkManager and standard network init script to manage
my network card at host side but with the same results...

I tried both of them because when vnet started I got an error from
NetworkManger in messages about "unknown device (or dirver), ignoring..." so
I presumed it was part of the problem...

About network card definition in guest: when I try rtl8139 model, I first
delete the other one and then create a new one, so the guest has always only
one network card defined.
I noticed that with virtio model in guest I have a "no link" message in
console 3 but AFTER it successfully got an ip via dhcp by dnsmaq related
process..
Instead with rtl8139 I get the link up also after the dhcp get of ip, but
the same way I get the error about not being able to get the kickstart
file....

Did I miss anything? I seem to remember in the past I was able to do so...

Thanks in advance
Gianluca