[fedora-virt] xen 4.0.0 build/install notes/bugs

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed May 5 00:06:06 UTC 2010

A few issues I hit trying to build/install the latest xen from the
myoung dom0 repo:

1) [root at librescu SPECS]# rpmbuild  -bb xen.spec  kernel.spec
error: Failed build dependencies:
         /usr/include/gnu/stubs-32.h is needed by xen-4.0.0-0.7.fc12.src

The trick here seems to be glibc-devel is required, but the 32-bit
version.  I was building on x86_64.  Installing the 32-bit version gets
it to build, but is that the right thing to do?  If so, can that be
specified as a buildrequires?

2) /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/xen-4.0.0/tools/ioemu-dir/texi2pod.pl
qemu-doc.texi qemu.pod
pod2man --section=1 --center=" " --release=" " qemu.pod > qemu.1
/bin/sh: /usr/local/bin/pod2man: /usr/local/bin/perl: bad interpreter:
No such file or directory

A simple symlink from /usr/bin/perl to /usr/local/bin/perl does the
trick there.  Fedora's been shipping a usable perl for at least several
releases. :)  I presume a script needs to be patched to use system perl.

3) During xen RPM install:

Stopping xend daemon: [  OK  ]
Starting xend daemon: [FAILED]
warning: %post(xen-4.0.0-0.7.fc12.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

log says:

[2010-05-04 12:41:32 23773] ERROR (SrvDaemon:356) Exception starting
xend ((38, 'Function not implemented'))
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/server/SrvDaemon.py", line
342, in run
     xinfo = xc.xeninfo()
Error: (38, 'Function not implemented')

It looks like a xend restart can't happen from 3->4, so perhaps just
handle the upgrade scenario gracefully?  xend starts fine after a
reboot, but we shouldn't kick out in %post.

4) grub not properly updated

I'm not sure why or if this is a "kernel-xen" problem, but grub got
hosed.  I previously had a kernel and xen kernel installed, each with
grub entries.  I updated the kernel and xen with "rpm -Uhv" and:

   a) reboot hung on the 'stand by for reboot' message.
   b) grub.conf got overwritten with only the new entry for the new
xen-aware kernel, but as a standard kernel entry, not with 'kernel
/xen.gz' and 'module' for kernel & initramfs.
   c) the other kernels got erased
   d) grub dropped into its shell on reboot

I brought the kernel up as a regular kernel (just from muscle-memory, I
forgot to kernel xen, but nice that it works both ways) and ran dracut
and grub-install, hand-fixed menu.lst and then all was well.

5) qemu-dm moved from /usr/lib64 to /usr/lib - dunno if this is correct,
if I have the right version, etc.

------ end of issues ------

Those said, my dom0 appears to be up fine now.  I just installed a
Nexenta DomU on hvm successfully, working on getting pvm working. Thanks
for all the good work.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle