[fedora-virt] Idle VM is hogging host cpu

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Mon Nov 8 16:14:33 UTC 2010

> On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 04:30:37PM +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>> I get that but why wasn't this affecting F11 as well? AFAIK Fedora 11 had a
>> tickless kernel so something else clearly changed between F11 and F14 that
>> causes this.
>
> Dan is talking about the guest kernel, not the host kernel.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding here.

What I'm saying is that the same guest is running on tickless kernels in
both cases (F11 and F14) yet on the F14 kernel it uses 20% cpu whereas it
uses just 1-2% on F11. So this leaves two questions:

What else besides tickless-ness in the host kernel is causing that the
identical guest uses much more cpu resources on the f14 kernel.

Why is the "divider=10" for the guest necessary on f14 but not on f11?

Regards,
   Dennis