[fedora-virt] state of spice and audio?

Dor Laor dlaor at redhat.com
Sun Sep 19 08:42:14 UTC 2010

On 09/18/2010 03:38 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> So I'm completely confused by how audio is supposed to work
> with spice. The spice-space.org docs have various marketing
> level blurbs talking about how audio is one of the channels
> of data handled by the spice client, but playing with my
> windows XP KVM machine on fedora 14, I can't get any audio
> at all to play.
>
> I'm also confused by all the examples showing I should start
> qemu with an ac97 audio device. I would have expected an audio
> equivalent of the video qxl driver (but what do I know?).

qxl is paravirt GPU that was specifically created to provide advantages
over the poor old Cirrus logic alternative.
For audio things are simpler, there is no need for pv device since the
rate is usually slow - 44khz +- That's why full emulation is still a
good idea and ac97 should be used.

> Can anyone clarify for me the state of spice and audio
> (and maybe even give me a hit about how to get audio
> out of the Windows XP virtual machine?).

ac97 is the device/driver pair. Without spice you should use a host
'backend' like pulse. With spice, spice-server is the backend and it
sends the audio directly to the spice-client that plays the actual stream.