[fedora-virt] how to boot Windows partition as KVM/Qemu guest

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Sat Sep 25 08:45:57 UTC 2010

Sam,

I have not been using virt-manager but:

Create an image file:

         dd if=/dev/zero of=disk.img bs=1024 count=2000000000

or qemu has its own image creation tool:

         qemu-img create -f qcow disk.img 2GB

or:

         qemu-img create -f raw disk.img 2GB

Boot an ISO image to install to a disk image:

         qemu -cdrom MicroXP_v0.82.iso -boot d disk.img

- I think I also needed to manually reboot with:

	qemu -hda disk.img

After install, boot the img:

	qemu-kvm disk.img

I saw a note that:

	qemu-system-x86_64

should be used to prevent future problems but I don't know what that is
about yet . .

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Phil.