[fedora-virt] Why does -p in 'virt-install' fail with 'no support for xen' ? doesn't kvm support paravirtualization?

Dor Laor dlaor at redhat.com
Mon Sep 27 08:00:40 UTC 2010

On 09/26/2010 11:46 PM, Jon Stanley wrote:
> Kvm supports hvm on machines with virt extensions only. There is no such
> thing as paravirt in KVM. The guest always runs an unmodified kernel but
> has virtio drivers.

That's true but just for being 100% accurate, do know that from kvm POV
there is no difference between HVM and paravirt, they are combined.
KVM guests have paravirt clock (kvmclock), we had paravirt mmu verbs
(now the hardware do much better) and we have paravirt irq controller
(x2apic). Again, kvm does not make any distinction for the above.