[fedora-virt] how to boot Windows partition as KVM/Qemu guest

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 11:16:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:21:21 +0100
Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Of course now virtual Windows will see the host disk, so you'd need to
> be extremely careful not to modify the partition table or the Linux
> host partition from the guest (not to mention security concerns).

I asked something like this once and someone suggested using the
device mapper stuff to put together different bits into something
that looks like a whole disk. A file with the disk header and
phony partition table, and the real windows partition. Lots of
details to try and get right there though :-).

Also, the bigger problem is that the hardware will look completely
different to windows, so you'll almost certainly be forced to
activate again, then you'd probably never be able to dual boot.