[fedora-virt] how to boot Windows partition as KVM/Qemu guest

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Sep 28 22:03:36 UTC 2010

> Another way to do it is very hairy, but might just work:
>
> <disk type='block'>
>    <source dev='/dev/sda'/>
>    <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
> </disk>
>
> Of course now virtual Windows will see the host disk, so you'd need to
> be extremely careful not to modify the partition table or the Linux
> host partition from the guest (not to mention security concerns).

Way back when VMWare was still hosted at Cornell, I used to dual-boot
Linux and Windows2000 this way.  It involved setting up two hardware
profiles and mucking about in boot.ini for boot profiles, or something
to that effect.

It actually worked, though.  But that was before all the hardware-change
activation nonsense too, so I don't know if/how hardware profiles are
still available and how that would affect activation.  Also, the big
virus of the day was ILOVEYOU and there weren't any rootkits out
(Russian mafia or Sony) and proprietary software didn't write to your
MBR for licensing information (TurboTax).

The best use cases I can imagine for still doing this would also revolve
around more proprietary software licenses (seeing a pattern here)?  You
might consider hosting your data on a Samba or iSCSI volume and having
two Windows installs, but again, this sounds like a licensing problem
more than anything.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle