[fedora-virt] 150 second timeout

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 15:40:49 UTC 2011

I have a Fedora 15 x86_64 system, 8 GB of RAM, 4 CPUs, 1 terabyte
disk.  I run several virtual machines on it, used to check
cross-system compatibility of some software I develop for my employer.
 I run "yum upgrade" on the host every work day, so it is up to date
as of today (August 31).

I have a RHEL 6.1 guest that I am using very heavily right now.  I run
it with virt-manager.  The guest's disk is a logical volume with no
(host) filesystem.  The guest's memory is drawn from a 1 GB hugetlbfs.
 The host has a Nehalem CPU, which is exposed (to the extent possible)
to the guest.  The display uses spice + qxl drivers in the guest.

Recently, the guest has gotten stuck from time to time.  I'll be
typing away and suddenly the guest's display will freeze.  When this
happens, I can still use the mouse to perform functions on the host,
but pressing keys has no effect.  Exactly 150 seconds later, the guest
will unfreeze (sort of; see below) and I can change keyboard focus to
other host applications again.  At that point, the guest window will
*partially* repaint, but will still not change in response to mouse or
keyboard actions.  I have to close that window and then click in
virt-manager to open a new window.  At that point, I can see that all
of the key presses I made while it was frozen were received and acted
on by the guest, so it is only the display that froze.

I have other Linux guests.  None of them display this behavior.  Is
this some kind of incompatibility between the RHEL 6.1 qxl drivers and
Fedora 15 spice?  Does a 150 second timeout ring a bell with anyone?
Is there some way to get the keyboard focus away from the guest when
this happens so I can at least do something useful on the host?

Thanks,
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/