[fedora-virt] Virtual CD-ROM & floppy problems in F16

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 16:52:25 UTC 2011

I am trying to set up a (32-bit) Windows 7 guest on Fedora 16, and I've
run into a couple of irritating problems.

1.  The guest does not seem to recognize the virtual floppy drive at
    all.  I've used virt-manager to create a virtual floppy drive (and
    controller), confirmed that it appears in the XML, and attached the
    VirtIO driver VFD, but the guest is acting as if it doesn't have a
    floppy drive at all -- both during installation and after I install
    to an emulated IDE disk.

2.  I am unable to attach an ISO file to the virtual CD-ROM.  Clicking
    on the "Attach" button in virt-manager has no effect.  The only way
    I've been able to achieve this is to shut down the guest and delete
    and recreate the CD-ROM.

Is anyone seeing anything like this?  Any ideas what could be going on?

Ian Pilcher                                         arequipeno at gmail.com
"If you're going to shift my paradigm ... at least buy me dinner first."