[fedora-virt] Virtual CD-ROM & floppy problems in F16

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 16:52:25 UTC 2011

I am trying to set up a (32-bit) Windows 7 guest on Fedora 16, and I've
run into a couple of irritating problems.

1.  The guest does not seem to recognize the virtual floppy drive at
    all.  I've used virt-manager to create a virtual floppy drive (and
    controller), confirmed that it appears in the XML, and attached the
    VirtIO driver VFD, but the guest is acting as if it doesn't have a
    floppy drive at all -- both during installation and after I install
    to an emulated IDE disk.

2.  I am unable to attach an ISO file to the virtual CD-ROM.  Clicking
    on the "Attach" button in virt-manager has no effect.  The only way
    I've been able to achieve this is to shut down the guest and delete
    and recreate the CD-ROM.

Is anyone seeing anything like this?  Any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks!