[fedora-virt] LUN over FC and VM

Olivier Renault orenault at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 08:55:40 UTC 2011

On 02/09/2011 06:41 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> I'm wondering if I can hook up a LUN directly to KVM-VM through FC so
> the VM can work directly on the storage LUN as oppose to configuring the
> LUN on the server hosting all the vm's, partition it, mounting it and
> then create an "image" on top of that which then is exposed to the VM as
> additional storage?
You have got two ways of achieving it.

- 1st, you can give the LUN allocated on your SAN as the VM disk ( and
install directly on it )

- 2nd, you can use PCI pass through to provide the HBA to your VM.
Downside, IIRC, for the time being you can not live migrate and the HBA
is dedicated to one VM.

Olivier