[fedora-virt] Fwd: LUN over FC and VM

John Brier johnbrier at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 00:31:00 UTC 2011

oops, meant to send this to the list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Brier <johnbrier at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: [fedora-virt] LUN over FC and VM
To: Olivier Renault <orenault at redhat.com>

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Olivier Renault <orenault at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 02/09/2011 06:41 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> I'm wondering if I can hook up a LUN directly to KVM-VM through FC so
>> the VM can work directly on the storage LUN as oppose to configuring the
>> LUN on the server hosting all the vm's, partition it, mounting it and
>> then create an "image" on top of that which then is exposed to the VM as
>> additional storage?

there is also this:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtStorageManagement

as I understand it though NPIV support currently only allows tools on
the host (say, virt-manager) to control the HBA, so for example you
can't send SCSI commands from the VM to the HBA, so you can't rescan
the bus for new luns, for example

but pci passthrough should should do that