[fedora-virt] virt-manager with spice support

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 09:21:48 UTC 2011

On Wed Feb 16 08:04:49 UTC 2011 Avi Alkalay wrote:

> After migrating to QEMU 0.14, my Windows 7 VM booted recognizing and
> installing new HW. But none was a QXL device even if virt-manager defines a
> qxl device and I can confirm qemu-kvm is being called with '-vga qxl'.
> Inside the VM there is only a plain 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter'. I also
> tried to manually install the QXL driver via the qxl.inf on this W7 VM with
> no success. Windows shows no manufacturer (and thus no further action) when
> qxl.inf file is selected.
>
> On the other hand, I defined a spice display via virt-manager and I can
> successfully connect to the VM console using spicy.

I got this too and win7 worked with spice display and access via spicec.

To force apply qlx.inf I had to:

device manager -> standard vga graphics adapter -> driver -> update driver
browse my computer for driver software
You have two options
a) search for driver software in this location -> you can browse where
you have the qxl.inf but it says that the driver is up to date and you
cannot force it
and you see vgapnp.sys as the driver used

b) let me pick from a list
you get the "have disk..." option, you select "display adapters" as
hardware type, and when you specify qxl.inf you get the warning about
not being signed
but it installs apparently ok and win7 asks you to restart
>From this point you are unable to arrive at login prompt. you get a
shut off after the  black "starting windows" coloured screen
Next start there is the option to repair or to start normally.... and
the latter always goes to a shutoff of the vm.

If I reset video model as vga and then restart, win7 is able to boot
normally again, as a standard vga grpahics adapter applying vgapnp.sys

Gianluca