[fedora-virt] virt-preview for Fedora 15 users back in sync

Frédéric Grelot fredericg_99 at yahoo.fr
Fri Jul 29 08:41:12 UTC 2011

> Then after reboot i noticed these problems:
> - virt-manager icon not correct. It resembles the typical icon of
> windows .exe files

Exact, same for me.

> - running virt-manager I got the window but only with the line
> localhost (QEMU)
> and unable to click in any part of it (menu, localhost line, ecc..)
> - in .virt-manager/virt-manager.log
> [Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:17:27 virt-manager 2906] DEBUG (error:80) dialog
> message: Error polling connection 'qemu:///system': internal error
> Cannot find suitable emulator for x86_64 : Error polling connection
> 'qemu:///system': internal error Cannot find suitable emulator for
> x86_64

Same for me as well.

> - virsh list (and --all) show no guest at all, while I have 5 of them
> defined on f15 before enabling virt-preview repo.

This seems to be cause by qemu saying that it does not support kvm, when it is called with the question marks arguments to determine its capabilities (I'm not an expert in this, I say it from memory since I haven't got access to the server ght now). By the way, I'm under Fedora 15 + Linux 3.0.0 (from fedora-rawhide repository), maybe this is linked.
I worked this one around by removing (renaming to *.old) /usr/bin/qemu and /usr/bin/qemu_system_x86 and creating symlinks to /usr/bin/qemu-kvm instead
It's ugly, but at least it allowed my vms to run.

Frederic.