[fedora-virt] windows 7 guest and acpi/apic with virt-preview

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 22:21:23 UTC 2011

hello,
using Fedora 14 and virt-preview.
I notice that my windows 7 guest 32bit has neither acpi nor apic enabled.
trying to enable one of them in virt-manager it gets automatically
reset and in virt-manager.log I get:
[Thu, 31 Mar 2011 00:13:54 virt-manager 17300] DEBUG
(libvirtobject:144) Redefine requested, but XML didn't change!

Is there any reason, such as not supported and automatically black
listed in any way... or a bug?
At the moment I have 3 guests: w2k3, w7 and centos 5 and this problem
is present for all of them...

I noticed this because after half an hour of inactivity my windows 7
went in black screen and no other way than powering off...
I saw that by default sleep was enabled after 30 minutes. At first I'm
disabling it, but I think that actually the problem of this freeze
could depend by acpi not enabled...
so I discovered the problem
virt-manager-0.8.6-1.fc14.noarch
libvirt-0.8.8-2.fc14.x86_64

Connecting an iso cd or changing network device type or other things
works ok. it seems only these two settings....
Gianluca