[fedora-virt] windows 7 guest and acpi/apic with virt-preview

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 13:50:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com> wrote:
> That's a virt-manager bug, fixed in the version in f15/rawhide,
> virt-manager-0.8.7-1. virt-preview will likely get that version soon as
> well.
>
> - Cole
Ok, thanks.
Is it a bug of only virt-manager setting or also involving qemu-kvm
command line?
I try to explain better:
- viewing the xml definition, I can see that my vm indeed has the acpi
setting in features section
- does this mean that win7 starts with acpi enabled from qemu-kvm
point of view?

running with --help I can see
QEMU emulator version 0.14.0 (qemu-kvm-0.14.0), Copyright (c)
2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

and
i386 target only:
-win2k-hack     use it when installing Windows 2000 to avoid a disk full bug
-no-fd-bootchk  disable boot signature checking for floppy disks
-no-acpi        disable ACPI

Does this mean that acpi is set by default in qemu-kvm and when in an
updated virt-manager I uncheck acpi setting this will involve to run
the qemu-kvm process with "-no-acpi" ?

what is it exactly intended with "i386 target"?
In recent virt-manager, even if I create a 32bit win7 guest, by
default the hypervisor settings are:
Hypervisor: kvm
Architecture: x86_64
Emulator: /usr/bin/qemu-kvm

I have to force i686 during guest creation....
Thanks,
Gianluca

BTW: I notice that while I'm creating a test vm to experiment, in
version  virt-manager-0.8.6-1.fc14.noarch, I'm unable to delete the
newly created guest (the option is greyed out). i have to run
virsh undefine testvm
Instead, pre-existing guests have the option to delete...
Is this already tracked or do I have to open a bug?