[fedora-virt] Virt Tools Survey: What to do about virt-clone

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 12:13:20 UTC 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011 12:56:30 +0100
Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> (c) Do you have a homebrew method to clone guests?  What does it do?

I'm in the middle of devising a home brew clone script strictly for
a Windows XP machine KVM I sometimes need extra copies of.

I have a readonly qcow2 image I use as a backing file for making
new qcow2 images for the clones. I've manually changed the
computer name and default screen background and gotten diffs
showing the registry changes made (there are a fantastic
number of them, which was hard to believe).

I'm about try try using the virt-win-reg tool on one of the
new qcow2 images to modify the registry and give the machine
a new identity before I boot it (but I haven't quite gotten
around try trying it yet).