[fedora-virt] virtual machine 101??

Paul Lambert eb30750 at gmail.com
Sun May 15 17:07:48 UTC 2011

This is true of the actual hardware that implements the control logic in
software running of specialized hardware that requires fast response to real
time events.  However, many of these systems use Windows servers to collect,
monitor and present an interface to the user world.  Under these
"monitoring" conditions the support servers can be virtualized, and in fact,
Emerson the makers of DeltaV, released a white paper stating that their
Window support servers can be virtualized over 2 years ago.  In many other
cases the vendor's control loops and time critical calculations are
performed in hardware that feeds data to and from these monitoring servers.
In the case of Allen Bradley PLCs, they actually have a software version of
the operating system that emulates on Windows and will drive their hardware
via serial connection.  Much control software development is actually
performed on VMs as both Allen Bradley and Emerson both Winmdows software
emulators that allow development and simulation off line.  My former company
has been doing this for over 10 years using VMware on laptops.  As processor
speed increases this will only narrow the gap of dedicated hardware vs
virtualized hardware emulated in software.  Now, you might not be able to
run 10 VMs on one server and bet the required performance, but the day is
coming as the cost of supporting these one off systems becomes prohibitive.

Paul