[fedora-virt] Nested virtualization on Intel with F16 already tested?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 14:06:04 UTC 2011

Hello,
I'm going to test nested virtualization on Intel with F16 host.
I have used it successfully with Amd, where it is enabled by default
in its kvm-amd module.
Based on
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/virtual/kvm/nested-vmx.txt
and
F16 having now
[root at f16 ~]# uname -r
3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64
and the same confirmations in its kernel-doc
/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-3.1.0/Documentation/virtual/kvm/nested-vmx.txt
file

In F15:
# uname -r
2.6.40.6-0.fc15.x86_64
# modinfo kvm-intel
parm:           bypass_guest_pf:bool
parm:           vpid:bool
parm:           flexpriority:bool
parm:           ept:bool
parm:           unrestricted_guest:bool
parm:           emulate_invalid_guest_state:bool
parm:           vmm_exclusive:bool
parm:           yield_on_hlt:bool
parm:           ple_gap:int
parm:           ple_window:int

In F16 indeed we have now:
# modinfo kvm-intel
parm:           vpid:bool
parm:           flexpriority:bool
parm:           ept:bool
parm:           unrestricted_guest:bool
parm:           emulate_invalid_guest_state:bool
parm:           vmm_exclusive:bool
parm:           yield_on_hlt:bool
parm:           nested:bool
parm:           ple_gap:int
parm:           ple_window:int

Based on docs, the "nested" option is disabled by default on Intel
(and probably not changed in Fedora?)
Did anyone already enable it and test nested virtualization
functionalities on Intel during F16 Beta/RC cycle and has now results
to share?
thanks in advance,
Gianluca