[fedora-virt] How To Get Started With Virtualization In Fedora 16

Bob Cochran bcochran13 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 13 05:04:20 UTC 2011

I installed Fedora 16 on my new machine and then perused the
getting-started guide below to create my first guest, a Fedora 16 guest.
The attempt failed.

First I tried to use command line virt-install with the --prompt option
to create a machine named 'bobf16'. This terminated abruptly after I
answered the second question. I'll try it again late tomorrow and post
the output here.

Then I tried the graphical virt-manager install. I tried to create a
machine named 'bobf16' which is a linux OS and specifically a Fedora 16
OS. I allocated 8 Gb of space for the container, 1 cpu core, and 4096 Mb
of memory. I used the Fedora 16 DVD which was in a physical DVD drive.
This worked much better until the anaconda installer inside the
container started computing dependencies and, apparently, space
requirements also. It issued a dialog box stating

"You need 3396 Mb of free space but do not have enough space...."

And the process offered me the option of going back to my package
selections to reduce the count of them, or to exit the installer. The
process does not tell me the amount of space that I need to reduce by
and for a system with an 8 Gb container, in my eyes 3396 Mb appears to
be ample...so I wonder if this is a bug in anaconda when presented with
small containers?

The final issue is that the Fedora 16 host OS is installed on a Mushkin
240 Gb SSD drive, but the virt-manager graphical interface seems to
suggest that I have only 44 Gb of this space available for containers.
How can this be? I don't think the host system needs more than about 8
Gb of space....there should be at least 200 Gb of space available on the
mushkin drive. (Now I'm wondering if my swap space was set to twice the
amount of my physical RAM. I have 32 Gb installed memory. I must check
the size of my swap space.)

Thanks for advice and suggestions!

Bob