[fedora-virt] virtio cache mode and windows XP bluescreens

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 15:03:06 UTC 2011

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 09:15:22 -0500
Tom Horsley wrote:

> I tried mounting the virtio-win-0.1-15.iso in
> the CDROM and asking XP to upgrade the disk driver, but it said the
> on on the CD was not newer and did no upgrade. (But see below - maybe
> I should have been upgrading the SCSI controller driver instead?)

OK, I tried that CD image again, only this time updated the SCSI
driver instead of trying to update the disk driver.

Now the guest bluescreens at boot, so I guess it is time to

I wonder if the code has a problem with a backing file? I
remember a while back I had problems due to bugs in the
backing file code, maybe they have cropped up again?

I'll make a copy of the base image and try the scsi driver
update again with no backing file in the image and see what
happens.