[fedora-virt] virt-preview on F16 fails due to yajl incompatibility

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 16:21:41 UTC 2011

On 11/14/2011 09:17 AM, Justin M. Forbes wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 08:27 -0700, Eric Blake wrote:
>> libreoffice on F16 requires yajl 1.0, but virt-preview built libvirt
>> against yajl 2.0.  This means that it is not possible to use
>> virt-preview on an F16 machine with libreoffice installed:
>>
>> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>> Error: Package: raptor2-2.0.4-2.fc16.x86_64 (@anaconda-0)
>>            Requires: libyajl.so.1()(64bit)
>>            Removing: yajl-1.0.12-1.fc16.x86_64 (@anaconda-0)
>>                libyajl.so.1()(64bit)
>>            Updated By: yajl-2.0.1-1.fc16.x86_64 (fedora-virt-preview)
>>                Not found
>>
>> It looks like we need to back out the yajl changes from virt-preview,
>> and rebuild libvirt to not require the newer yajl libraries.
>
> Thanks, I did some checking to see if anything on my system required
> yajl before I built it, but I don't have libre installed on that
> machine.  I am kind of questioning what to do here, if we revert the
> yajl requirement in libvirt, what are we missing, it certainly isn't a
> full virt-preview.  On the other hand, if we tell people they can only
> test on systems without Libre installed, we are going to have fewer
> testers.  I suppose the other option is to add libreoffice from F17 to
> virt-preview (ouch).  What do people think?

Libvirt should compile just fine with either yajl 1.0 or yajl 2.0 - that
is, libvirt does not rely on any new features added in yajl 2.0, and the
new yajl soname in rawhide is not a necessity for virt-preview (contrast
that to other packages, such as where using an older sanlock-devel is
problematic, and libvirt really does need sanlock-devel >= 1.8).

I think it's better to drop yajl from virt-preview, then rebuild libvirt
against the yajl 1.0 library already present in F16, than it is to
recompile libreoffice and anything else that is still stuck on the older
yajl soname in F16.