[fedora-virt] How To Get Started With Virtualization In Fedora 16

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 12:21:35 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 12:04:20AM -0500, Bob Cochran wrote:
> I installed Fedora 16 on my new machine and then perused the
> getting-started guide below to create my first guest, a Fedora 16 guest.
> The attempt failed.
>
> First I tried to use command line virt-install with the --prompt option
> to create a machine named 'bobf16'. This terminated abruptly after I
> answered the second question. I'll try it again late tomorrow and post
> the output here.
>
> Then I tried the graphical virt-manager install. I tried to create a
> machine named 'bobf16' which is a linux OS and specifically a Fedora 16
> OS. I allocated 8 Gb of space for the container, 1 cpu core, and 4096 Mb
> of memory. I used the Fedora 16 DVD which was in a physical DVD drive.
> This worked much better until the anaconda installer inside the
> container started computing dependencies and, apparently, space
> requirements also. It issued a dialog box stating
>
> "You need 3396 Mb of free space but do not have enough space...."

There's not enough information to properly diagnose this.  However if
I were to guess I'd say it's because Anaconda has decided that because
the guest has 4 GB of RAM, it needs a large swap space, and that large
guest swap space has eaten up most of your guest disk space, leaving
not very much for storage of the OS, files etc.

So: give the guest less RAM, more disk; or don't use Anaconda's
automatic partitioning, instead choose the partition sizes yourself by
hand.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/