[fedora-virt] Load VMM with non-root?

Kashyap Chamarthy kashyapc at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 30 15:36:37 UTC 2011

On 11/30/2011 08:52 PM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> At the moment I need to enter root pw to start virt-manager.
> guestfs-browser, will start, but shows nothing.
> Unless started with "sudo guestfs-browser.
>
> How can I get both to start as my normal user,

I use the below policy kit file to invoke virt-manager as a regular user

----------------
$ cat /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/virt-manager.pkla
[Local virt-manager Permissions]
Identity=unix-user:kashyap
Action=org.libvirt.unix.*
ResultAny=no
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes
----------------
Note: replace 'kashyap' w/ your user name.

And restart libvirt

$ service libvird restart

> and if I do will it affect seriel-console captures?
> (useful for rawhide\branched)

hm, I'm not sure. but it shouldn't affect I guess.  I capture serial console o/p on the
shell usually via invoking ' # virsh console guestname'   (after configuring serial console)

Hope that helps.

--
/kashyap