[fedora-virt] Restored Windows Server 2003 VM goes black

Greg Scott GregScott at Infrasupport.com
Sun Oct 9 15:06:46 UTC 2011

Looking over Windows.pm and viostor.inf, and looking at a Windows 2008R2
VM with the virtio-win drivers installed - it looks like I need to
insert some registry keys in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet.  I see the
CurerntControlSet stuff in Windows.pm and I can handle that in a .reg
file.  It all seems laid out pretty nicely.

Looking over the registry in my 2008R2 VM, I also see references to
viostor in:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Setup\PnpLockdownFiles
HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Setup\PnpLockdownFile
HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 2

I'm not sure how these keys get in there - the HARDWARE one probably
because Windows finds the virtual device.  Maybe the driver puts in the
PnpLockdownFiles entries?

Looks like the only file I need to copy is viostor.sys and it needs to
go into system32\drivers.  There's some code in Windows.pm that looks
like it sets up a special path for all the virtio stuff, but I don't see
any evidence of it in the actual VM - ahh - but my sample 2008R2 VM was
built from scratch, while Windows.pm is for a P2V or V2V, so maybe
that's the difference.  So I can put in the DevicePath registry keys in
my .reg file to handle that.

One question - is the 2008 viostor.sys different than the 2003 one?  If
so, I can test for the OS version and copy the appropriate flavor.

Thanks

- Greg