[fedora-virt] Bug or what?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 00:02:29 UTC 2011

If I try to install a new virtual machine (I'm running on
fedora 15 with all update, but no virt-preview) using
the virt-manager and going through the new VM wizard
pages, I get errors if I take a path it apparently
doesn't like:

If I tell it to use existing or other storage and
browse local and pick a qcow2 image file I manually
created outside of virt-manager thusly:

qemu-img create -f qcow2 testf16b.img 20G

qemu-img info testf16b.img
image: testf16b.img
file format: qcow2
virtual size: 20G (21474836480 bytes)
disk size: 140K
cluster_size: 65536

When I advance to actually creating the virtual machine,
it tells me there is no disk space. Looking at the hardware
info it says: Storage size 0.19 MB

If, on the other hand, when I get to the storage def
page, I use virt-manager to create a new qcow2 image
file via the gui dialog, then when I go to start the
actual install, the hardware info page does indeed
know that the image is a 20G virtual disk.

If this is a bug, what would I report it against?
If it isn't a bug, how the heck do I install a new
virtual machine pointing to an arbitrary disk image
file?