[fedora-virt] Dual boot Fedora15/Win7 with VM Win7 too

David C. Mores dcmores at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 19:02:37 UTC 2011

I have a new HP PC with AMD quad CPU that came with Win7 installed.  I
installed Fedora 15 by first shrinking the hard drive ntfs partition in
half and letting the Fedora installation set up the dual boot
configuration in the GRUB boot menu.  That all works fine.  I can boot
either O/S with no problems or side effects.

Now to take this to the next level, I would like to setup a Win7 VM
under Fedora that uses the Win7 installation that is already available
in the Win 7 partition.  Running the original Win 7 installation as a VM
guest would be cool - efficient use of storage, the Win7 license and
convenient - along with the existing option to reboot into Win 7.  The
Fedora Virtualization Guide documentation does not seem to cover this
case where the O/S install exists before the VM is created.

Can this be done?  Have you done it successfully?  What are the details?

Dave