[fedora-virt] VMs are failing to DHCP

Scott Baker bakers at canbytel.com
Tue Aug 21 21:09:50 UTC 2012

I've used virt-install to kickstart VM installs for a year or so. When I
went to use it today it fails on getting DHCP from the host. I've
restarted libvirtd, and dnsmasq but still have the problem. I see the
install script send the DHCP request, but nothing ever hits the logs on
the host. How do I troubleshoot the DHCP/dnsmasq part of libvirtd?

Here is my command to start the install:

export name=F17-`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M`
virt-install --name=$name \
--vcpus=2 \
--file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/$name.img \
--file-size=20 \
--location http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/releases/17/Fedora/x86_64/os/ \
--network=bridge:br1 \
--network=network:default \
--accelerate \
--os-type=linux \
--os-variant=fedora14 \
--extra-args="ks=http://www.perturb.org/ks/fedora-17.ks ksdevice=eth1" \
--ram=4096 &

--
Scott Baker - Canby Telcom
System Administrator - RHCE - 503.266.8253