[fedora-virt] qemu 1.3 in fedora git, but not rawhide yet

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Sat Dec 8 16:47:18 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I've pushed qemu 1.3 to the fedora git repo, but haven't pushed a build to
rawhide yet as I'm hitting a few problems:

1) I can't get save/restore (migration) to work from 1.2 to 1.3. Marcelo had
pointed me at a known issue here, so added patch:

But it didn't seem to make any difference, things still aren't working:

qemu: warning: error while loading state for instance 0x0 of device 'ram'
load of migration failed

I even tried to do the simplest test stripping away all devices but I still
couldn't make it work.

2) libvirt 1.0.0 in rawhide doesn't want to start any pre-existing VMs. I
think it's having trouble determining emulator capabilities. Upstream libvirt
git is working so hopefully it's a quick matter of determining the patches to

3) I can't find any way to make the qemu binary default to the equivalent of
-enable-kvm. This will break any users that were depending that qemu-kvm
behavior, but won't affect libvirt or libguestfs at all. I though upstream was
planning to change this default, so qemu would default to KVM if the host
supported it, but I can't find the thread now.

4) Qemu 'make check' is failing on i686 with:

    GTESTER check-qtest-i386
    ERROR:tests/rtc-test.c:209:set_year_20xx: assertion failed
(cmos_read(RTC_HOURS) == 0x02): (25 == 2)
    GTester: last random seed: R02S3c33904d728a7716fb49ee76edbb6e40

And then this hangs the build in koji :(  . I've disabled the tests for now.

Here's a scratch build if anyone wants to give it a spin:

or install fedora-review and do:

koji-download-scratch 4769102

Any assistance, comments, etc. appreciated.