[fedora-virt] gPXE vs iPXE in Fedora and QEMU/KVM usage

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 10:22:01 UTC 2012

Upstream QEMU/KVM have replaced gPXE with iPXE, AFAICT, because the gPXE
community is dead[1], while iPXE is very active & responsive to patches,
etc. I'd like QEMU/KVM in Fedora to ship using iPXE by default so that
we match what the upstream community ships with.

As I see it there are two obvious options

 - Retire gPXE completely and add iPXE for use by everybody
 - Keep gPXE and add iPXE to be used by QEMU/KVM only

I was wondering if people had any thoughts on the matter ?

If we're quick there's still time todo this for Fedora 17, since we have
not had any major Virt related test days yet - the OpenStack test day
is March 8th (1+1/2 weeks away).

Regards,
Daniel

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPXE

     "gPXE development ceased in summer 2010, and several projects are
       migrating or considering migrating to iPXE as a result."