[fedora-virt] Virtual CD-ROM & floppy problems in F16

Markus Armbruster armbru at redhat.com
Mon Jan 2 09:43:02 UTC 2012

Ian Pilcher <arequipeno at gmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to set up a (32-bit) Windows 7 guest on Fedora 16, and I've
> run into a couple of irritating problems.
>
> 1.  The guest does not seem to recognize the virtual floppy drive at
>     all.  I've used virt-manager to create a virtual floppy drive (and
>     controller), confirmed that it appears in the XML, and attached the
>     VirtIO driver VFD, but the guest is acting as if it doesn't have a
>     floppy drive at all -- both during installation and after I install
>     to an emulated IDE disk.

I'm a happy Windows ignoramus, but maybe I can help you along the first
steps of debugging anyway.

What is your exact qemu-kvm command line?  Fish it out of libvirt's
GUEST.log.

Try

$ virsh qemu-monitor-command --hmp GUEST 'info qtree'

This should print quite a bit of text.  We're looking for the "dev:
isa-fdc" stanza.  Here's one for a controller without drives:

          dev: isa-fdc, id ""
            dev-prop: driveA = <null>
            dev-prop: driveB = <null>
            dev-prop: bootindexA = -1
            dev-prop: bootindexB = -1
            isa irq 6

Here's one for a controller with one drive:

          dev: isa-fdc, id ""
            dev-prop: driveA = floppy0
            dev-prop: driveB = <null>
            dev-prop: bootindexA = -1
            dev-prop: bootindexB = -1
            isa irq 6

What do you get?

If you have a drive, look it up in output of:

$ virsh qemu-monitor-command --hmp GUEST 'info block'

For me, it's

floppy0: removable=1 locked=0 tray-open=0 [not inserted]

[...]